Monday 18 March 2013

Launching Q&A Website

In the next few weeks, I will be deploying and starting a new website. It's a Q&A website with focus on bureaucracy. It is localized in Portugal, so I won't be writing much about it on this blog.

I'll be using question2answer, which is a PHP-based open-source QA website. I will customize it and open-source that customization on github as well as a few fabric scripts I will use to test and deploy the website.

There is no kind of business plan yet. I don't really intend to make more money from it more than the amount needed to pay for the hosting, but this could change if I saw this really taking off.

As for marketing and getting people on this, I have started a Facebook page last week, with not too many people on it so far. I'm guessing I will need a lot of people to be there before I get to launch day.

Nobody wants to use an empty website. I have looked into how stackexchange launches a new website, and it's very interesting. They have the area 52 site, which is a staging zone where ideas are tested. People can commit to proposed sites and example questions are added. If a site is deemed good enough to launch, it goes into beta, and then becomes a full-fledged website.

I have to learn a bit more about stackexchange's process. I'm not too clear on the specifics.

Anyway, a simple "this is coming soon" + FAQ single web page is up in its future domain, papelada.pt

I never started any kind of website before, so this will be a great learning opportunity. I am looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment